Thursday, May 24, 2012

A few midcoast moments

Last Thursday, we made our third stop in our On the Road with Mainebiz event series. This time, we ventured to Rockland.

I have to admit to having a bit of a soft spot for midcoast Maine. I grew up in what’s sometimes referred to as the “southern midcoast,” that amorphous Brunswick-Topsham-Bath region between greater Portland and the honest-to-goodness midcoast. I’ve also been the unofficial midcoast reporter here, so I’ve traveled to the midcoast a few times to talk with a number of businesses.

Thursday’s weather was just perfect, so I decided to take a little detour on my way to Rockland and do something I’ve never done before: eat at Red’s Eats in Wiscasset. Yes, it’s true, this Maine native has never stood in line at that iconic Route 1 eatery, waiting for a lobster roll – that is, until last Thursday.

The line that day wasn’t very long but it still took a good 20 minutes to place my order. Judging by the conversations around me, I guessed the other Red’s customers were college students, locals and tourists alike.

I went for their award-winning lobster roll and some onion rings, and my order was up in just a few minutes.


I was equal parts eager and hesitant to dig in. But Red’s, I’m sorry to say -- it was not the best lobster roll I've ever had. (My view no way reflects the views of Mainebiz or my Mainebiz colleagues, especially since an informal poll showed a few Red’s fans in the office. I’m outnumbered).

I will, however, concede that Wiscasset may indeed be the prettiest village in Maine: cafes, lots of antique shops, general stores and lovely, historic buildings.


If you don't mind the traffic.


Once I made it to Rockland, I had some time to walk around and enjoy the downtown. Art galleries are to Rockland what antique stores are to Wiscasset. I had such an urge to splurge on a painting and try and fit it into my Corolla.


The Farnsworth Art Museum is the center of the town's art culture. I wonder how many tourists go there looking for a sandwich, though.


The Mainebiz event was at Amalfi on the Water and featured a simply stunning view. Despite the lovely weather that could have lured folks away, the event drew a good number of people interesting in networking and meeting the Mainebiz folks.



I left the event with some good contacts and a few story ideas – couldn’t have asked for more.

If you want to connect with Mainebiz in person, put June 14 on your calendar – we’ll be heading to Poland. Hope to see you!

You'll be able to see more photos from the On the Road Rockland event here.

No comments:

Post a Comment